Montag, 21. Januar 2013

48°C !


Sydney Harbour Bridge. structural design all over again ! what a monument!

facts: The arch is composed of two 28-panel arch trusses; their heights vary from 18 m (59 ft) at the centre of the arch to 57 m (187 ft) at the ends next to the pylons and  has a span of 503 m and its summit is 134 m (440 ft) above mean sea level; however, expansion of the steel structure on hot days can increase the height of the arch by as much as 18 cm. Large steel pins support each end of the arch, allowing it to rotate to accommodate expansion and contraction caused by changes of temperature, and avoiding stresses that would otherwise cause damage.

The total weight of the steelwork of the bridge, including the arch and approach spans, is 52,800 tonnes, with the arch itself weighing 39,000 tonnes. 
The bridge is held together by six million Australian-made hand-driven rivets supplied by the McPherson company of Melbourne.


 my beautiful cousin.



 we did a little tour around the city in a free bus.


 CBD, I would say.




dying of heat..
what an ecxcitement to finally see one of my favourite buildings in the whole world ! what a perfection ! what a beauty ! how funny it was when I read that the architect, Jorn Utzon, has the same birthday as I do !
But apart from that, we were having the hottest day EVER ! in Sydney, 48° everywhere! In the bus we took to the city it was even 56° (the driver said so) and me and my little cousins were almost fainting. But it was such an excitement that I could blend out all the heat and walk around with my eyes widened by all the new things I saw (I was wearing sunnies, obviously, otherwise I would have had to blink all the time).


concrete beams.
interior, main stairs . we did not go further, becasue the tour is not worth it.














Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen